Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day One - Canadians take over

So I arrived in to Orlando around 11:30 am EST. Got off the plane, made my way to baggage claim and came into a HUGE glorious lobby filled with advertising for all the theme parks! Universal, Disney, Sea World. The excitement was just building. I was here. It was gorgeous.



Coming off the plane it was so cute seeing all the kids with their Disney gear waiting to board a plane to go home... I couldn't help smiling knowing they had a trip they'll never forget.

I gathered my luggage and went off to Level 1 to take Mears transportation to Vista Way Apartments (our check in), waiting for the Bus I ran into several Canadians also headed to Vista for check in, so we were all off to a great start!!! Meeting each other, making friends.

We got to Vista and had papers checked, rooms assigned, a short video on Housing and the rules, some free food, and were sent off in a van to all our respective complexes. I am in Patterson Court, will get some photos later today to post. It's the newest complex. I have 5 other roomies, all Americans who have been here since February, so I get to be the random new roommate from Canada. Our driver to the complex was this incredible jolly woman with a southern twang, who loved to yell and get us all excited. Was so fun!

I got myself slightly unpacked, then made the bus trek to the HUGE Wal-Mart. Needed to buy sheets, some food, and other goods. The bus was FULL of Canadians, and Americans who all just started their Program. Wal-Mart was quite a site to see, all of us with our carts running around.. Specifically the Canadians trying to understand all the brands in the grocery aisles... so confusing and overwhelming. "I just want bread, what is this weird honey bread!! HELP"

We then filled another bus with all of our new goods, like literally full, people on top of Wal-Mart bags on top of people.

|I eventually got home, officially unpacked, chatted with my roomie (the one I share my actual room with), got a bit settled.. then set off on a bit of an International College Program Canadian Tradition.. The Polynesian Resort for the "Wishes" Fireworks Spectacular. Apparently every year on first night we all meet on beach and watch the fireworks. I was so excited, finally getting on to Disney property!!

We rode the bus, another bus of Canadians, crossed under the Disney World arch (freaking out of course) and got off at the Polynesian. Holy crap it is gorgeous! I've never really seen resorts in my life.. Wow! All Hawaiian inspired, tiki themed. Lit torches line the pathways, the pool has a Volcano waterslide. Gorgeous beach. A few of us ran off to go to the self serve Dole Whip machine..

WHATS A DOLE WHIP YOU ASK?

Well it has become a thing of Disney Fan Folk Lore, but it is essentially Pineapple Soft Serve.. it is AMAZING, so good! They are Disney famous. I had one in Disneyland in 2011, and couldnt wait to have another.. and Self Serve meaning.. AS BIG AS YOU WANT!

So we wolfed down our Dole Whips, then headed back to the beach for fireworks. We all decided to head to a dock where they play the shows soundtrack during the fireworks (as all the fireworks are choreographed and programmed to music)

This dock resides on the Seven Seas Lagoon, a Disney made lagoon that takes you to the Magic Kingdoms entrance by boat.

Well one of the ferries that takes you to the entrance pulled up, and the driver insisted we get on as the view is spectacular.. so we did.. and he was right! Had an incredible view of the fireworks as we approached the Magic Kingdom by boat.





After the show we took the Monorail back to the Polynesian and bused home.

It was an amazing, magical first day.. Although we have all been a bit confused with everything we need to do. Amazing new friends were made, and today we get to do it all again! I have a housing meeting at 1:50, then I am free rest of the day! I think I made a friend who's worked here for a while, and they are going to sign me into the Magic Kingdom tonight, meaning.. I'm getting into a park for free tonight!! (We don't get in free until our Traditions class when we get our class ID, which isn't until Thursday)

So I'll keep you all posted on today's adventure by tomorrow...

Until then, remain seated please, Permenecer Sentados por Favor!.



No comments:

Post a Comment